Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A dEePeR uNdErStAnDiNg oF mY rEaDeRs


"What have you been doing as a reader?" -A beginning question to start a reading conference. Is that where thinking happens DURING the reading process?

Let me ask questions...let's have a class discussion; let me ask deep thinking questions.....Is that where thinking happens DURING the reading process?

Annotate, Annotate, Annotate! On a piece of paper, hidden by a cover, shoved in a crate; is that where thinking happens DURING the reading process?

Can I peek in your mind? Can I see in real time -DURING the reading process? Isn't that the key to understanding; where did comprehension occur or break down?

As I settle into my first month of Project Connect, I have finally been given the tools to dissect thinking and reading LIVE DURING the reading process. With tools such as screenr, VoiceThread, and GoogleDocs, I am finally getting a deeper understanding of my readers DURING the reading process.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see the power of annotation being used to see how comprehension develops using digital tools. I've had several teachers ask me lately about their first steps into using a web-based tool. I have my own opinions, but I'm curious to get the input of a gifted reading teacher. If there was only one tool a teacher should start using immediately in her class, what should it be and why? Thank you for all you do for your students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have now shown my students, Diigo, screenr, VoiceThread, Microsoft Office, and Google Docs. I have noticed that most of the students are using- when annotating- Google Docs. I noticed a also get a better share discussion through that tool as well.

    ReplyDelete